Friday, November 29, 2013

Prayer From A Mouse, Sarah Messer

Prayer from a Mouse
by Sarah Messer


Dimensionless One, can you hear me? 
Me with the moon ears, caught 
in ice branches? 
 
Beneath the sky's long house, 
beneath the old snake tree, 
I pray to see even a fragment 
of you-- 
whiskers ticking 
 
a deserted street, 
a staircase leading 
to the balcony 
of your collarbone. 
 
Beloved King of Stars, I cannot 
contain my animal movements. 
 
For you I stay like a mountain. 
For you I stay like a straight pin. 
 
But in the end, the body leaves us 
its empty building. 
 
Midnight petulant 
as a root cellar. Wasps crawling 
in sleeves. I sleep 
 
with my tail over 
my face, enflamed. 
 
Oh Great Cataloguer 
of Snow Leaves, I pray 
that you may appear 
and carry every piece 
of my fur in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment