Monday, March 9, 2015

Fanny Linguistics: Nickole

 
Nickole Brown

About This Poem

 
“This piece is from my Fanny Linguistics series, a group of poems that explore the particular way my grandmother used (or mis-used, depending on who’s talking) language. You see, she was raised during a time when women weren’t necessarily taught how to read and write, so coupled with the specific way of speaking given to her in Western Kentucky, she had to make do. Now, my mother gave birth to me young (she was only sixteen), so it was up to my grandmother to fill out my birth certificate. The ‘k’ in my name has caused more folks to misspell my name than I can remember, but it’s mine. Now that I’ve had a lifetime with it, I often think of that strong, unnecessary consonant as a small mark Fanny made on me to help keep me upright and strong as the letter itself looks.
Nickole Brow

No comments:

Post a Comment