Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Meditation

November 29, 2010

When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. —Luke 1: 42

I remember the first time Iplaced my hands on the pregnant belly of a friend and felt her child kick. Startled at the life I felt within, my hand jumped back. My friend laughed and in her eyes I saw such profound joy. I could not help but share in her happiness. In that tiny movement, I felt God. We so easily see a spark of the Divine in infants. It is so much more difficult to notice it in others. What would it look like if we recognized each person as a gift from God, a glint of God’s light come into our lives? We should dance in the street and greet each other as old friends from a Holy memory. It is in others that we can see another part of ourselves, reaching out for unity and kicking from the womb as if to say "I know you! And I am here as well!"

Elaine Warn, Diocese of Montana

O God, who created all peoples in your image, we thank you for the wonderful diversity of races and cultures in this world. Enrich our lives by ever-widening circles of fellowship, and show us your presence in those who differ most from us, until our knowledge of your love is made perfect in our love for all your children; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment